Monday, August 10, 2015

A Week of Weak Sleep

Coming at you live from Chi-Town!

Last week was transfer week, and it was absolutely crazy! We would have shown Wiz Khalifa a thing or two about what No Sleep really is.

So we'll start off with the Nauvoo trip, which was actually about a week and a half ago, but I'll count it just to show that we're starting off trying to catch up on sleep in the first place. That day (Friday), we woke up at 4:00 a.m. and didn't get to bed until about 11-11:30 p.m. Sunday night, we were at the office until 10:30 (more on that later), so it was another night getting to bed around 11-11:30. Monday was the day that the new missionaries came in, and we had to set up iPads and present training. We went to bed at 11:30 that night too. Tuesday we were in attendance at the departing missionary meeting to pick up the iPads from the missionaries that were going home. We went to bed around 11-11:30 again. All this being said, you have to remember that Elder Campbell and I wake up every day at 5:45 so that we have some extra time to exercise in the morning, so that adds up to a lot of less-than-enough-sleep nights. This week, we are going to three zone training meetings, and while we will be getting to bed on time, we'll have to wake up earlier so that we can make the drive and get to the meetings on time (for two of them).

Here we go with the tech update for last week: Last Saturday and Sunday, we spent several hours setting up Apple ID and iCloud accounts for all of the new missionaries coming in. There were 28 new missionaries, so that took us quite a bit of time. Monday, we helped pick up some of the new missionaries from the airport (we got to go out of the mission, so watch out for us rebels), and drove them back to the mission home for training. We had an hour-long presentation where we talked about basic rules for the iPads and online proselyting, and help set up their email accounts and the basic configuration of the iPads. After we finished presenting (about 4:30), we spent the rest of the night (until 10:30) updating the iPad software, installing the necessary apps, and adding restrictions to all of the iPads. The good news about being at the mission home that night, was that President and Sister Griffin ordered Giordano's pizza, which is my favorite! Attached is a picture of all of the pizza boxes, there were about 15 large pizzas!

Tuesday, we had transfer meeting, so Elder Campbell and I answered questions and fixed a couple of iPads that had problems going on with them. We learned that all of the new missionaries' iPads messed up and deleted their email accounts, so we had to set them up all over again...

Wednesday's highlight entailed going to Chama Gaucha, a Brazilian steakhouse, for lunch. I probably ate a couple of pounds of meat, but it was incredible. The check was something else though, because missionaries are definitely not rolling in the big bucks. It broke the bank, but was definitely worth it.

As for our proselyting during the week, we found a couple of people through tracting that were interested in learning more about the gospel. Since both of the people we met have families, we passed them off to different missionaries. The sad news of the week is that Anand called us yesterday and told us that he doesn't believe all that he is reading in the Book of Mormon and doesn't want to continue meeting with us. It's tough, but we hope that we can meet one last time to answer any questions that he has and see if we can resolve his concerns.

Well, that's about it for me. Looking forward to next week!

Elder Dallas Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment