Thursday, October 30, 2014

It's Fun to Stay at the YMCA...

October 27, 2014

Hi all:

So my area is great, I love it here. Elder Engler and I spend most of our time in Kankakee. From the history I've heard, it used to be a nice town, but when the government shut down the projects in Chicago several years ago, Kankakee was one of the main places that most of the homeless and needy people came, so it's become run-down. The good part about that is that there are lots of people that are just out walking around that we can talk to, so we don't have to do a ton of knocking. On Saturdays, Brother Anderson, a member from the ward who's just the nicest guy (he reminds me a lot of Uncle Ray), takes us down to Watseka, a little farming town which is about 45 minutes south of the Bourbonnais/Kankakee area. Although I couldn't ever live in either Watseka or Bourbonnais, it's a great area to be serving in.

So our schedule varies from day to day. We wake up at 6:30, exercise, shower, and eat breakfast before 8:00. We have studies in the morning from 8 until 11, then lunch from 11-12. After lunch, we'll visit investigators, go tracting, meet less active members, etc. until 8:00. At 8, we come home and have dinner, plan and set goals for the next day, and go to bed at 10:30.

For transportation, we have a car for half the week, and we walk and take the busses for the other half of the week.

The ward here is awesome, although it's pretty small. It's about half the size of the Hillcrest Ward. But there are several people that make 45+ minute drives to get to church, which makes me really appreciate how lucky we are to have churches so close in Utah.

Last night we had dinner with the Langfoss family. They're probably my favorite family in the ward. Dirk, the dad, is the CEO for the YMCA here in Kankakee, so he gives us free passes to come work out on p-days, which is awesome! They have 3 boys in their family--one is going to school at BYU (he served a mission in Brazil), one is in his senior year of high school and one is in his sophomore year of high school. They're just an awesome family to talk to!

So for p-days, we come to the YMCA and play racquetball. It's such a fun game, and I can see how you really enjoy it! After that, we either shoot some hoop or lift weights, it's so great.

My district has 8 people in it: 4 elders and 4 sisters. Elder Jones from the MTC is in my district, so I get to see him every week, which is really cool. Laundry is going well, and so is cooking; I usually just make soup or sandwiches, so it's pretty easy to make.

Love you, and I hope to hear from you again soon!
#GoCowboys #GoAvs
Elder Dallas Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment